Tuesday, January 17, 2006

We promised a motel...they got a tent.

We were going to have fun this past weekend. We told the kids we'd go to either Hot Springs or Eureka Springs. We even went as far as telling them we'd stay in a motel. That got them excited. Then the burn ban was lifted so we stayed home and burned. So we went to Hot Springs, which is about 1 1/2 hours away. Still we maintained the illusion that we'd stay in a motel. When evening rolled around, we realized that an hour and a half drive home was preferable to forking out more than $50 to sleep in a strange bed. So we drove home. The kids were disappointed. We told them we'd let them pitch a tent in the living room. That got them excited! Hannah exclaimed "This is the best day ever!"

So, we pitched the tent. Hannah and Hypatia were so excited. Dylan didn't really care and went to sleep in his top bunk. The girls cozied down for a good night's sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night, my Mommy Radar went off, and I woke up. It was Hannah, calling my name. I went in to check on her and she said "I'm not comfortable. I can't sleep." A half asleep 8 year old isn't capable of figuring out the solution to this problem in the middle of the night. Their brains just don't function at that time. So I said "That's okay. Just go get in your bed." So she did. And she slept fine. So much for pitching a tent in the living room.

Hypatia, on the other hand, slept soundly in the tent. She begged me to come and get her up in the middle of the night and take her to the bathroom so she wouldn't pee in the tent. She's a bed wetter and she was concerned about ruining the tent. I managed to take her to the bathroom during the night and disaster was averted.

Wade Story

I went into the children's bathroom and I noticed that he had written on the toilet. Sigh. Whatever. It's in pencil. Then I open the toilet seat. Ummm...he also wrote IN the toilet. The toilet bowl has scribble marks all in it! Ewww!!

No comments: