Monday, July 31, 2006

Apple Chicken

Yet another recipe from Leanne Ely's book Saving Dinner. Again, another hit! Dh is totally bored with chicken and sauce recipes, so I'm going to have to lay off them for a while. Sigh. But the kids just loved it! I thought it was very tasty too! Hannah and Hypatia and their friend who ate with us just ate it all up very happily. Of course Hypatia picked off all the apples, but she ate the chicken just fine.

I didn't notice until I was copying the recipe into the blog that it said to cut the chicken into little pieces. I did my typical long strips. Ooops! I didn't use so many apples either. It seemed like too much to me. So, I used only 2 chicken breasts, 1 apple, and since I only had 1/2 cup of wine on hand, I cut all of the sauce ingredients by 1/3. I didn't use cornstarch, either. I used ultra gel instead.



Apple Chicken
1 1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
3/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Add apple slices, saute 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 the wine and chicken broth, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix remaining wine and broth together with remaining ingredients; add to skillet. cook over medium heat, stirring consstantly until sauce thickens.

No comments: