Friday, July 21, 2006

Blueberry Buckle

This is a recipe that my inlaws make. Until I had theirs, I had only had blueberry buckle only once, when a college roomate made it. I loved it then. I love it still! I think that this recipe is pretty much a classic, because I looked at some online recipe sites and they have this exact recipe listed. That made it easy for me, because I just cut and pasted and I didn't have to type it all out. The only difference in the recipe that I use is that there is a creamy lemon sauce that is poured over the cake. Personally, I don't love the sauce, and I could live without it. But Sean wouldn't deal with it very well, so I make the sauce anyway. Then, Sean insists that I also top it with whipped cream. Always a good addition, although I think I would really like this just as well sans sauce and whipped cream.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blueberry Buckle
A delicious coffecake style recipe. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries.

For the cake:

3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh blueberries

For the streusel topping:

1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

For the sauce:

3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
pinch salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
2. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, butter, and egg.
3. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan.
4. To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
5. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes. When cooled, serve with sauce.
6. For the sauce: Beat egg yolks, add sugar mixed with cornstarch. Scald milk in top of double boiler, gradually stir in egg mixture. Cook until it coats a silver spoon, 5-6 minutes. Cool and flavor with lemon extract.

If you are married to my husband, you also have to top it with sweetened whipped cream.

No comments: