Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Romano Turkey Burgers

This next recipe comes from a book called Saving Dinner, by Leanne Ely, who runs a website, also called Saving Dinner. In her book, she plans out dinners by the week, complete with weekly shopping lists. All you have to do is pick a week and use her list. On her website, you can subscribe to her service which provides new menus every week. I don't know if I would ever need pre-planned menus like that, but her book is full of simple dinner ideas. They are all quick and easy to make. I've only made two recipes so far, and they were both good. I'm planning on using many of her recipes during the coming month. I'll let you know how they turn out!

I changed this recipe very little. I used real garlic instead of powder. This is something I almost always do. Call me a garlic snob if you want, but I don't use powder or even those jars of already chopped garlic. Honestly, nothing compares. So, I used 2 or 3 gloves of garlic, and since I broke my garlic press, I had to mince it by hand. Luckily, my dh likes the smell of garlic and has never complained when I'm saturated with it, lol.

Other than that, the recipe was made as is. I used whole wheat rolls instead of buns, but I don't count that as a change. For some reason, I thought my rolls were smaller than a typical bun, so I made the patties rather small. So we had to use 2 patties on each roll.

Sean liked them, I think. Well, he ate two burgers. Hannah stuffed herself silly. Needless to say she loved them. Dylan would have liked them, but he is out of town, visiting grandparents. Hypatia, who is by far my pickiest eater, just pointed at the onions and gave me that look that says "You know I can't eat that!" She ate a bite or two. Wade nibbled at them, but thats pretty typical, too.



Romano Turkey Burgers
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
3/4 cup Romano cheese, grated
1/2 cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns

Turn on broiler. In a bowl, mix all ingredients (except hamburger buns) together well and shape into six patties.

Place patties on a broiler pan and broil for 10 minutes, turning once, Patties are done when they are no longer pink in the middle. Serve on warmed hamburger buns.

No comments: