Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Laurie's Simple Summer Salad

I was just going to make a simple green salad, but then I remembered my cauliflower just sitting there in my fridge, so I thought I'd make it the base of my salad instead of lettuce. The dressing for this salad is just whatever dressing I had in my fridge, which happened to be one I bought from Big Lots, so I don't know how easy it is to find it normally. Anyway, its Olde Cape Cod brand Lite Blush Wine Vinaigrette. Its a decent dressing. Nothing too special, though. Of course, I could have used olive oil and basalmic vinegar, but, for some reason I didn't.

This salad seems to be lacking in nice bright green color. I guess I shouldn't have peeled my cucumbers. I think that would have helped. Also, fresh herbs would have added color and flavor. I didn't have any on hand, so I used dried, which is very ho hum. If I were going to make this for company, I would definately make these changes.

Over all, this is a nice, fresh salad that will compliment my Romano Turkey Burgers I'm planning for tonight.



Laurie's Easy Summer Salad

1/4 head cauliflower, chopped
1/2 large beefsteak style tomato, diced
1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced
1/4 cucumber, peeled and diced
4 or 5 baby cut carrots, sliced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced finely
1 tsp dried parsley (or 1 tbsp fresh)
1/4 tsp dried dill (or some fresh)
About 1/4 to 1/2 cup dressing
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. I made this a few hours early to allow the flavors to meld and to soften and marinate the cauliflower.

No comments: