Monday, August 28, 2006

Buttermilk Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Once in a rare while, I go all out and make biscuits and gravy. My kids adore it, and Sean is getting used to it. Of course Sean eats the biscuits like crazy, but he prefers them with homemade strawberry freezer jam, which, I admit, is pretty darn good.

Dylan says, "Mom, you make the best buttermilk biscuits!"

Thanks, sweetie. Its not my recipe, though. I just use the Better Homes and Gardens recipe.



Buttermilk Biscuits Supreme

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar (I usually forget this, lol)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup shortening (I always do half shortening, half butter)
3/4 cup buttermilk

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt. Cut in shortening (and butter) till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center; add buttermilk all at once. Stir just till dough clings together. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter in flour between cuts. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes or till golden. Makes 10 to 12 biscuits.

Sausage Gravy

To make really flavorful breakfast gravy, you need to cook either sausage or bacon, and then use the pan to make the gravy. All of those crispy bits of sausage or bacon will make that gravy taste yummy!

The basic recipe is this: For every cup of milk, you need 1 tablespoon of grease (butter or oil) and 1 tablespoon of flour. We usually only make the recipe with one cup of milk, which doesn't seem like a lot, but its just right for us.

In the pan where I cooked the sausage, I sprinkle a tablespoon of flour into the drippings. If there is enough grease (at least a tablespoon) leftover from cooking the sausage, then I just stir in the flour with a whisk till smooth. If not, I add a bit of oil or butter, and then stir.

Heat up 1 cup of milk in the microwave (cold milk increases your chances of lumpy gravy), and pour it into the grease/flour mixture slowly while whisking. Heat to boiling, stirring the whole time.

When thickened, remove from heat and salt and pepper to taste.

Oh yeah, I usually add a crumbled sausage patty to the gravy.

No comments: