Saturday, August 26, 2006

Chicken Salad

This was a lazy Sunday afternoon supper. You know the kind that you look into your pantry and fridge to see what's there and make dinner accordingly. Well, this is what was there.

Oh, this was sooooo delish! I had it all planned out, and then I saw the lone avocado, sitting there on the counter. I diced it up and tossed it in. Wow. What a great addition! I found myself anticipating each bite, wondering if it would be one of the ones, you know, with avocado in it!

I had a can of mandarin organges in the pantry, so thats what I used, but I imagine that any variety of fruits would work, such as grapes, pineapple, mango, peaches, etc. This is a variation on a pretty basic recipe.

Mmmmmm...



Chicken Salad

2 chicken breasts, cooked in lemon juice and curry powder, shredded
2 stalks celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 15 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1-2 teaspoons curry powder
juice of 2 or 3 lemons
Some mayonnaise (or 1/2 mayo, 1/2 yogurt; or all yogurt, if you like)
salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients but the avocado and mandarin oranges. Stir to combine. Add the avocado and mandarin oranges right before serving, and gently stir (just trying to keep them from falling apart).

Serve on lettuce leaves, with a dinner roll. Of course, I didn't serve on lettuce leaves, but I thought that would look nice if you wanted to do it that way.

No comments: